Ok, so this recipe is not quite perfect, yet anyway….I have been attempting to make, not the perfect chocolate cake, but an edible chocolate cake that tastes like cake but using healthier alternatives to the traditional ingredients….. I did not make mine gluten free, but only because the oats I used weren’t gluten free, but if you use gf oats the recipe is exactly the same (I used to think that the gluten in the oats is what makes them so ‘gluey’….but this is actually not the case, the reason that oats are ever considered not gf is due to cross contamination in the growing and harvesting product and not something in the oat itself).
I have made this cake twice now, and please note that I am not much of a baker, I am a cook, a chef whatever you wish to call me, I like to make it up as I go along, I do not like following the rules, so please bare with me as I try to recall my ingredients list and the amounts that I use……it’s probably helpful to note that I make my recipes a little different everytime, I measure by eye, not by weight or cups…..so you will need to use your own judgement when making this recipe your own and adapt it to suit your needs and tastes…. so here goes….. (Note, I will update this recipe as I continue to perfect it, but for now its still pretty good)….
3 Chia Seed eggs (3 dessert spoons of chia seeds in 9 dessert spoons of water)
2 Ripe Bananas – The Riper the Better
2 Cups of Rolled Oats (Organic and GF Oats are best…..blended to make oat flour
1 Cup Raw Almonds (Blended to make Almond flour, you can of course just use premade flour)
1/4 flax seeds (ground) (Not required, but they are an extra source of nutrients including Omega 3’s.
1/2 to 1 Cup of Cacoa powder (Raw, Organic)
3/4 Cup of Maple Syrup/Agave Nectar or sweetener of Choice (If you use a non liquid sweetener you’ll need to add more water to the recipe)
1 – 2 Teaspoon (s) Baking Powder
Other things you could add:
Salt (this will bring out the chocolate flavor, I only didn’t add this as I wanted it to be baby friendly).
Vanilla Essence or Vanilla Bean – I just didn’t have any in)
- Make Chia Seed Egg and put in fridge for 5 – 15 mins
- Blend Rolled oats into a flour (I just throw mine in the nutri bullet)
- Mix in all Dry ingredients
- Then mix in all wet ingredients
- Grease a baking tin, (I used a round 9″ baking tin)
- Add Mixture, it should be a little wet, but not too runny
- Bake in oven at 350 Degrees for about 20 – 30 mins
- Top whole cake with chocolate frosting (Coconut Milk (From a tin, cool in fridge overnight and turn upside before opening), Melted vegan chocolate chips and a splash of dairy free milk, a tablespoon of cacao powder and blend in food processor)
- Decorate with fresh organic strawberries, banana’s and Organic shredded coconut.
Store this in the fridge until you are ready to eat, as it does melt pretty quickly.